Financial Aid Home
How to Apply Eligibility Web-Gate Financial Aid Forms
Gainful Employment Career Programs Gainful Employment Career Programs
Arrow Financial Aid TV
Student Loan Code of Conduct
Priority Deadlines
Satisfactory Academic Progress
Enrollment Verification
Enrollment Verification
Document Requirements
Check for Award
Book Voucher
Disbursement Information
Student Rights & Responsibilities
Types of Financial Aid
Financial Aid History (Important Links)
Federal Direct Loans
Loan Repayment Options
Federal Work Study
Scholarships & Grants
Cost of Attendance
Net Price Calculator
Contact Us


This page lists some federal financial aid programs. Eligibility requirements for these programs are at the bottom of the page.

Federal Pell Grant
This grant is funded by the federal government, and eligibility is determined by the U.S. Department of Education. The maximum grant is $5920 depending upon the Expected Family Contribution (EFC) and number of credit hours for which you are enrolled. The Federal Pell Grant is limited to students who have not received a baccalaureate degree. A SAR (Student Aid Report) is sent to the student by the Federal Pell Grant Processor. An award notification is issued to eligible students by the District's Financial Aid Office. Students are eligible for Pell Grants for a maximum of the equivalent of 12 full-time semesters. 

Federal Direct Loans are either subsidized or unsubsidized Direct Loans. A subsidized loan is awarded on the basis of financial need. You will not be charged any interest during authorized periods of deferment. The federal government “subsidizes” the interest during these periods. An unsubsidized loan is not awarded on the basis of need. You will be charged interest from the time the loan is disbursed until it is paid in full. If you allow the interest to accrue (accumulate) while you are in school or during other periods of nonpayment, it will be capitalized — that is, the interest will be added to the principal amount of your loan, and additional interest will be based on that higher amount. If your interest is capitalized, it will increase the amount you have to repay. You can choose to pay the interest as it accumulates; if so, you will repay less in the long run.

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)
This is a federal grant for undergraduates only. Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant funds are awarded by the District Financial Aid Office. The amount of the grant is determined by the need of the student and the availability of funds. You must be enrolled in at least six credit hours to receive these funds, and meet the eligibility requirements listed above for Federal Student Aid programs.

Federal Work-Study (FWS)
This is a federally subsidized employment program that provides employment for students with demonstrated financial need who wish to earn part of their educational expense. Students may work a maximum of thirty hours per week at Wayne County Community College District, and are paid every two weeks. Students may also be placed in off-campus (non-college) jobs. Students who are interested must complete a renewal application, or an electronic application, or the Free Application for Federal Financial Aid form. Contact the financial aid office for job placement assistance if FWS award is indicated on your award letter.

Iraq and Afghanistan Service Grant
A student whose parent or guardian was a member of the U.S. Armed Forces and died as a result of service performed in Iraq or Afghanistan after September 11, 2001 may be eligible to receive the Iraq and Afghanistan Service Grant.
Additional Student Eligibility Requirements

- Must be ineligible for a Federal Pell Grant due only to having less financial need than is required to receive Pell   funds, and
- Be under 24 years old, or
- Enrolled in college at least part-time at the time of the parent’s or guardian’s death.

The grant award is equal to the amount of a maximum Pell Grant for the award year – not to exceed the cost of attendance for that award year.

Who is eligible for federal financial aid programs?

You are generally eligible if you meet all of the following requirements:
  • Your application for Federal Financial Aid results in an indication of need.
  • You are a U.S. citizen, permanent resident, or meet certain requirements for non-citizen eligibility.
  • You are not in default on a Direct subsidized or unsubsidized, Stafford subsidized or unsubsidized or Perkins loan, and do not owe a repayment on a Federal Pell Grant, Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant or ACG to any institution of postsecondary education
  • You are enrolled for a least six credit hours toward a certificate or degree program.
  • You have met the Government's standards for Satisfactory Academic Progress for continued eligibility.
  • You have a high school diploma, completed secondary level homeschooling in accordance with State laws or a GED.
  • You have declared an eligible program of intent with the admissions office and have enrolled only in classes required for that program.
Copyright ©2008-2018 Wayne County Community College District | 801 W. Fort Street, Detroit, MI 48226 |  CONTACT US