Group Orientation / Instruction
WCCCD librarians provide library orientations to teach students how to access online and traditional print materials. A basic library tour includes introductions to the library online catalog, magazine and journal databases, and the internet. It can also be tailored to suit the needs of an individual instructor and class. Instructors, you need to:
- Schedule an appointment for library orientations so that students may develop their information-seeking skills .
- Share research assignments beforehand with librarians so that library orientations are focused and effective.
- Attend library orientations with classes so as to emphasize the tours' importance
Download Class Orientation Request Form
Research Assignments / Reserves
We further encourage instructors to consult with their campus librarians in the design of research assignments.
The librarians can determine whether the library has the resources necessary to meet the specific requirements of an assignment, and perhaps suggest print and electronic sources to enhance the students' learning experience. The librarians can also determine whether materials are limited to the extent that certain items should be placed on reserve. If you have an item or know of something in the library collection that you would like to place on reserve, please complete a Reserves Request Form and submit it to your campus library.
Download Course Reserve Materials Request Form
Instructional Materials (videos)
Choose General Keyword. Then type videorecording and [search term, e.g. cell].
To view the full record and Call Number, click on the title.
You may order videos in the following ways:
- Call the LRC Media Center at 313-943-4032 between 8:30-4:30 M-F.
- E-mail LRC Media Center: firstname.lastname@example.org
- When you call or email requests, always indicate your full name, date of use, location/time needed.
- Visit a Campus LRC, fill out materials request form and give to LRC staff.
Loan Period 2 weeks; Videos can be shipped for pickup at Campus LRCs. Allow 2 days ship.
Reservation of AV/TV/PC Equipment
- For ordinary campus instructional equipment, reserve from your Campus LRC.
- AV equipment varies by campus. Check with your campus LRC for availability
- Faculty/Staff responsible for the pickup/return. When LRC closed, return to administration or faculty office as directed by LRC staff.
- Reserved equipment not picked up within 30 minutes of scheduled time, will result in forfeiture of your request that day.
- Failure to pickup reserved equipment for 3 consecutive weeks will result in the loss of your semester resevation.
- First come, first served
- For multiple pieces, reserve one week in advance
- Viewing rooms booked for one class period
- For overnight off-campus arrange with Campus LR
Download AV Equipment Semester Reservation Request Form
Troubleshooting AV/TV Equipment
- If can't solve problem in classroom, return equipment for replacement
- Report problems when returning equipment
Training for Faculty
Not quite sure how the library catalog works? Want to see if a campus library carries a particular journal? Need help in working the libraries' subscription databases into your class assignments? Want to hone your Web-searching skills? Make a librarian's day by contacting your campus library for a one-on-one session. We can cover whatever aspects of research you need. To contact a librarian on your campus, select one of the campus links at the left of this page
Recommend Materials & Web Sites
Do the libraries, or does the library Web site, lack something you and your students need? Just ask for it. We want to have the right books, journals, videos, CDs and more in the libraries, and we want the Web site to provide you the with the online resources you need to support successful teaching and learning. To contact a librarian on your campus, select one of the campus links at the left of this page.
Download Suggested Materials to Purchase Form