Student Support Services - ACCESS
This program provides supportive services to special need students enrolled in career and technical programs at Wayne County Community College District. Resources are available according to individual needs and coordinates assessment and include services such as tutoring, visual aids, sign language interpreters, language interpreters and note takers, as well as special equipment often required to support academic success in college. Instructors and advisors may refer students who need assistance. However, students are welcome to come and discuss individual concerns without referrals.
About This Program
Disability Support Services at Wayne County Community College District (WCCCD) strives to provide students with the necessary tools to help them accomplish their educational and career goals. It is the goal of Disability Support Services to:
(1) Provide appropriate and reasonable accommodations and support services,
(2) Provide referrals, information, resources to students to improve their academic and employability success,
(3) Encourage and assist students with disabilities to become more independent,
(4) Increase faculty understanding of the need of students with disabilities and
(5) Work as an advocate for students.
To obtain services/accommodations, Students should
- Be admitted to WCCCD through the regular admissions process,
- After being admitted visit the ACCESS department at the campus,
- Complete the intake and services/accommodation request forms,
- Submit sufficient evidence/documentation of a physical, emotional and or prior learning disability,
- Request reasonable accommodations during your meeting with the ACCESS Coordinator,
- Meet with an ACCESS coordinator to plan services and or an educational plan of work.
In addition to the support services that are available to other students, students in the ACCESS Program have the following services available:
- Note takers
- Adaptive equipment
Program participants are also assisted with referrals to both internal and external support services.
External Referral Services
- Support Groups
- Community Mental Health
- Social Services Agencies
- Michigan Rehabilitation Services
- Michigan Commission for the Blind