Students residing in the college district will be assessed resident tuition rates. The college district is defined as the whole of Wayne County with the exception of the following cities and townships:
part of Canton Township
Residency can be verified by voter registration card, driver's license, tax returns, rent receipts, or state identification card.
Wayne County Community College District hereby defines residency for administrative and tuition
purposes as follows:
Resident: Persons who reside within the Wayne County Community College District service area at the time of registration shall be assessed the in-district tuition rate.
Out-of-District Resident: Persons residing within the state but outside of the Wayne County Community College District service area shall be assessed the out-of-district tuition rate.
Out-of-State Resident: Persons with residency outside the state of Michigan will be assessed the out-of-state tuition rate.
International: Persons attending Wayne County Community College District who are in the country on a student F1 Visa will be assessed the international rate
Special Residency: Children of deceased, 100% disabled, or missing Michigan veterans, between the ages of 16 and 22 and who are state resident for 12 months, per the State of Michigan statutes, may receive free tuition and fees for 36 months at State-supported colleges.
North American Indians receive free tuition after they have resided in the State for 12 consecutive months. The State, upon proper certification, shall reimburse the District for the tuition as waived.
All qualifying Veterans, spouses, and dependents will be charged in-state tuition regardless of his/her formal state of residence.
• A Veteran who lives in the state (regardless of his/her formal state of residence) and enrolls in the school within three years of discharge from a period of active duty service of 90 days or more.
• A spouse or child using transferred benefits who lives in the state (regardless of his/her formal state of residence) and enrolls in the school within 3 years of the transferor’s discharge from a period of active duty service of 90 days or more.
• A spouse or child using benefits under the Marine Gunnery Sergeant John David Fry Scholarship who lives in the state (regardless of his/her formal state of residence) and enrolls in the school within three years of the Servicemember’s death in the line of duty following a period of active duty service of 90 days or more.
The District shall require appropriate documentation from students to verify residency, one or more of the following documents will be accepted to verify residency:
- Valid Michigan driver's license In student's name (both sides must be submitted if license has been renewed or address changed)
- Valid motor vehicle registration in student's name (car insurance and car title not acceptable)
- Utility bill in student's name
- Valid Michigan identification card in student's name
- Payroll stub with student's name and address
- New rental or lease agreement in student's name
- Current property tax receipt in student's name (must be place of residence or property)
- Military identification card
- Notarized statement verifying residency signed by parent(s)if the student is still in high school, accompanied by parent's proof of residency or by current high school record (e.g., high school transcript or current report card in student's name and address)
In the event that a student's residency is not clearly established at the time of registration, he/she shall be assessed the out-of-district or out-of state tuition rate as defined in 'b' and 'c.'
*NOTE; Decisions regarding residency may be appealed to the District Admissions and Records Office who in consultation with the Vice Chancellor, Student Services, will review all appeals